Monday, March 24, 2014

Strawberry Lemonade

Happy fourth day of spring! I make this when I have in-laws to impress or just want some good lemonade. Yes, I'm a little late with spring-like recipes, so without further ado, here you go!

Strawberry Lemonade
 
What you need:
10C water
2C granulated sugar
5 large lemons
1C lemon juice-because it's okay to cheat sometimes
1lb. strawberries, rinsed & drained

What to do:
Zest each lemon, avoiding the white pith. In case you have no idea what zesting is like I did, I'll tell you. It is scraping off the colorful skin of the lemon, avoiding the white bitter part under the skin (also known as the pith.) I get a few good little zest pieces off of each lemon.

Place these zest peelings in a bowl with one cup of granulated sugar for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, juice the lemons into a separate bowl. Get as much juice out of those suckers as you can, throwing seeds away.

In a large pan, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the remaining sugar, lemon juice and strawberries to the water. Mash it all with a spatula. I mean mash the hell out of it. Let it sit for 30 minutes.

Add the lemon peels and sugar mixture to the fruity water. Stir well. Strain through a mesher into a pitcher. Refrigerate. If you have any extra lemonade left over, put it into ice cube trays and freeze. These are perfect for your lemonade. I freeze the mooshed strawberries for frozen daquiries or margaritas.

Feel free to add vodka. I know you will, Lindsey. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment